SSAC: User Resources
This site was produced to act as a central resource for surface analysis at the University of Sheffield, and provides tutorials, useful downloads and calendars showing the current availability of the instruments. We aim to continue to supplement this site with additional resources on a continuing basis.
Surface analysis COSHH forms must be filled in prior to analysis and must include a signature from the grantholder, departmental COSHH number, chemical structures and surface treatments. Failure to obtain a COSHH number will result in delays carrying out your analysis. The COSHH forms for SIMS and XPS can be found below:
*Please print these forms double sided if possible.
Purchasing Surface Analysis Sessions
Surface analysis sessions are purchased on a per day basis. These sessions are interchangeable i.e. they can be used for either XPS or SIMS. The minimum session that can be purchased is a half day. If you wish to purchase analysis time please contact us.
Booking Surface Analysis Sessions
To book instrument time please find an available session on the instrument booking calendar, and request it via email. Friday overnight and weekend sessions are available to fully trained, experienced users only.
Research Training Program (RTP)
If you wish for XPS training as part of the University of Sheffield Research Training Program please contact us.
Information on sample preparation
- D. Briggs; A. Brown; J. Vickerman, Handbook of Static Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (SIMS), John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 1989.
- G. Beamson; D. Briggs, High Resolution XPS of Organic Polymers: The Scienta ESCA300 Database, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 1992.
- J. Watts; J. Wolstenholme, An Introduction to Surface Analysis by XPS and AES, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 2003.
- D. Briggs; M. Seah, Practical Surface Analysis Volume 1: Auger and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 1983.
- D. Briggs; M. Seah, Practical Surface Analysis Volume 2: Ion and Neutral Spectroscopy, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 1983.
- H. Tompkins, A User's Guide to Ellipsometry, Dover Publications Inc., New York, 1993.